quinta-feira, 21 de julho de 2011

The Art of Robert Olszewski!




The Art Of Robert Olszewski

In this post, the amazing Miniaturist and Sculptor, Robert Olszewski. Over the past decade, Robert has created miniature replicas of popular Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resort icons, attractions and buildings including the Main Street, U.S.A. Collection (Click Here to see all the pictures), as well as other figural pieces which include Gallery of Light scenes, Heirloom boxes and the ever-popular Pokitpal series. 

Michelle: You’re very well known for your ability to create miniature masterpieces. What influences or inspirations do you draw on both Disney and non-Disney to create these amazing pieces?

Olszewski: The inspirations I draw upon for my work today began in high school and college art classes. My view of art was solidly planted in painting, until in 1977, I carved a small figurine for my daughter’s dollhouse. This one figure changed everything. I had painted on canvas for 15 years and this tiny sculpture, at 1 inch tall, began my career as a sculptor. In 1979, while under contract, I made it a point to take the time to visit art museums. The museum visits broadened how I looked at all art. So, today, when I begin a new project, I reflect back on the great number of masterpieces I have seen.

The influences I find in Disney work have changed over time. My first Disney commission was in 1987 for the 50th Anniversary of “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.” Years later, I was commissioned to do the Disneyland Resort Main Street U.S.A. program. I was able to have access to the Disney Archives as we did research on the park. At the Disney Archives I was reminded that in order to get just the right look for a film, like “Dumbo;” we all have to study the art of the past.

Today I enjoy walking the Parks and revisiting the Disney films, looking at the details that give you that special feeling that is so hard to describe. So, I’m still learning as I continue to visit museums and as I focus in depth on some new gem of a project I am studying at Disneyland or Walt Disney World Resort.


Michelle: Can you give us a little insight as to what our guests can expect to see in the coming months and share some details on the process and steps it takes to create things in this scale?

Olszewski: This is hard to answer as I am working on the Disneyland Resort Main Street, U.S.A. collection and attraction sculptures, the Walt Disney World Resort Main Street, U.S.A. collection, PokitPals, Heirloom Boxes and Gallery of Light. The truth is…that when I work on projects, of which there are many, the project in my hand is the only and most important project in the world. 

The work we do here at the studios is not linear – it doesn’t follow a straight line. However, here is the framework I work in for every project, from PokitPals to the Main Street, U.S.A. buildings & attractions:
Research, sketch, gather input, concept approval, build paper model – yes all projects are built in paper first, sculpted in clay, then submitted for approval, we produce a final sample – coloration, lighting, etc., then submit the final sample for approval, manufacture it, and then launch and market the designs to the collectors.
At all steps, I focus on the feeling of the piece. Details should be left out, if they do not support the feeling. As far as what designs are coming, you and the collectors will have to wait and see. I am at the Disneyland Resort, launching new designs 4 times a year and at Walt Disney World Resort, at least 2 times a year. Stay tuned for more announcements.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário